Welcome to Escribiente
Meetings are held on the first Wednesday of the month, and we welcome guests and members of the public who have an interest in learning more abut the fine art of beautiful writing. Please see our Meetings page for full details and directions and download our Newsletters for reviews and photos from our workshops and programs.
Meet and mingle with local Escribiente calligraphers at our free monthly meetings. Guests welcome, so just drop by! We meet the first Wednesday of most months at the Manzano Mesa Multigenerational Center in Albuquerque (southwest corner of Elizabeth and Southern).
March 1, 2017, 6:30pm
Paper and Ink Sampling Party!
Presented by Janice Gabel, Trish Meyer, Patty Hammarstedt and Bill Kemp
Join us for a wonderful round robin where you can sample a variety of paper and ink, and pick up tips from talented fellow members. No matter your experience, there are always new paper and ink combinations to discover!
With the cost of buying sheets of fine art paper – coupled with a minimum 10-sheet order in some cases – it can be daunting and expensive to take a chance on ordering fine paper online. So this is your chance to try a sample of high-quality paper for both broad nib and pointed pen calligraphy – and maybe find a new favorite ink as well! Don't forget to bring your favorite dip holder and nibs(pens will NOT be provided!).
- Trish will be tearing 10 sheets of paper into 30 pieces, and assembling paper sampling packs for 30 attendees. A list of the paper names, price and sources will be provided.
- Janice will share a variety of inks, including fountain pen and sumi ink.
- Patty will show you techniques for mixing gouache and acrylic, as well as grinding ink sticks.
- Bill will share his recipe for mixing ink especially for pointed pen calligraphy.
- We will also have samples of Golden High Flow acrylic and Bombay Ink, both of which are available in a wide range of fabulous lightfast colors!
You need to bring:
- Your favorite dip pen (broad and/or pointed) along with holder(s).
- A sturdy pad to place your paper on would be useful
- A pen to take notes with.
- Supplied: water, toothbrushes and paper towels to clean your nibs.
- Field Trip to The Sign Store with Al Padilla
- Ornaments for the Xmas Memorial Tree
- 2016 Xmas Party photo gallery
- Neuland (exemplar & text) by Carl Rohrs
- Workshop review: John Stevens “Capital Intensive” at Camp Cheerio, by Megan Goodenough
- Christmas Cards photo gallery
- Photographing Calligraphy Part 1, by David Gasser
- Valentine Cards for Meals On Wheels clients (update: 650 card goal was achieved!)
- Call for Entries for Graceful Envelope contest
- Tips for Lettering Artists
Blackletter & Fraktur Workshop * SOLD OUT
with Yukimi Annand
April 22–23, 2017
Yukimi will be teaching her gorgeous Blackletter hand at our April workshop.
Contact Jan Florence to be added to the wait list (workshop is currently sold out).
New Mexico State Fair 2016
The New Mexico State Fair was held at Expo New Mexico
September 8 – 18, 2016
Escribiente members displayed their fine art of beautiful lettering at the State Fair each year in the Creative Arts Building at NM Expo, Albuquerque. The Juror for this year's exhibit was Meredith McPherson, assisted by Escribiente VP Trish Meyer. Below is our show from September 2016:
View Flickr slideshow of the Calligraphy exhibit at the 2016 New Mexico State Fair.
Escribiente Coloring Book
Members of Escribiente (Albuquerque’s Calligraphy Society) designed a coloring book featuring each letter of the alphabet. Members graphically illustrated letters for the 8.5 X 11 inch pages which were then spiral bound into a book format. The range of techniques in the book includes calligraphy, lettering, floral design, drawing, and abstract designs.
Caryl McHarney, a multimedia artist, designed and colored the front cover. She used Bookhand and Neuland calligraphy styles for the lettering.
A few copies remain for sale from the limited edition of 175 copies which were released in May 2016. The books are for sale for $10.00 each which includes shipping.
To purchase a copies, please contact Caryl McHarney at 505-255-7883
Email Caryl at:
Escribiente Mentor Program
Escribiente has a mentor program for new members. Our objective is to assist new members with calligraphy and the many things associated with it. This is not designed to teach a hand, but to assist with various techniques and questions such as:
- How do you do that?
- I want to do this – but where do I start?
- What should I use ( i.e. ink, tool, paper)?
- I can’t make that letter, what am I doing wrong?
- Squash??? Well that is what it sounded like. (Gouache)
- Can you do calligraphy on this?
- And the many more questions that we all had when we were first starting out.
It will not all be on your shoulders, if you don’t know the answer you can find out or refer them to another member that you think would know the answer. But the best thing that will happen is the possible friendship that may develop for you and Escribiente. This will make the new member gain confidence in their ability as a calligrapher and feel like one of us (experienced calligraphers anyway) much faster. I remember the excitement of looking at all the strange tools, the mystery of how do they make those pens make letters like that and many other questions.
If you are interested in becoming a Mentor or having a Mentor, contact Jan Florence: H 505-281-5771 (call first) - C 505-269-8867; email: